Thursday, June 16, 2011

What's in a name?

I just want to note before I get started that so far I am a terrible blogger.  I'm pretty sure that my only reader so far is Jon, so I'm not beating myself up too much yet since I talk to him everyday. But, of course, that is part of the reason I started a blog. My poor husband was getting sick of hearing me go on and on about gardens and plants and things I read on other blogs and canning and recipes and I could go on, but I won't.

But, anywho, I digress. A lot. Back to the issue at hand.

I've never had a house with a name.  I've never even considered giving my house a name. I've named other things, of course -- pets, cars, kids -- but never a house. When we moved to Long Island, we bought a wonderful old house that reminded us of Pennsylvania.


And it has a name. I'm not going to lie, the fact that my house has a legitimate name makes me feel incredibly classy.


As it turns out, the house has quite a history, as well.  Tranquillity was built by Henry Amherst Brown, a writer, justice of the peace, and town supervisor, in the mid-1800's.  Brown lived in the house for 77 years.  Tranquillity is currently the oldest house in Wyandanch/Wheatley Heights.

Tranquillity was also the inspiration for the name of this blog.  And trust me, with my three kids, this house is now anything but tranquil.

No comments:

Post a Comment